Did you know 35% of typically developing children have feeding issues and for children with disabilities that number is much higher?
FirstStages Feeding Specialists is here to offer help and hope. All families desire to enjoy feeding and nurturing their child. When feedings are not peaceful and pleasant stress and frustration result. When the parent is empowered during the feeding intervention process to interpret their child's cues and respond accordingly, oral feeding improves, which positively impacts the parent-child relationship and feelings of parent success around feeding. When focus on volume and intake override the child’s cues, the child and family are at risk for long-term feeding issues and frustration. We provide home-based and community-based services to Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, McLean, Vienna, and Sterling. We offer solutions which will lead you to peaceful feeding times!
• Direct bottle-feeding, breast-feeding or mealtime observation and parent interview in the home
• Screenings facilitate early identification of problems
• Early Identification is key to prevention and quicker solutions
• Discuss "next steps"
• Direct observation of feeding in the home
• Review of the "FUN" feeding questionnaire
• Assessment of the child's skill: strengths and weaknesses
• Assessment of the child's refusal and pleasure cues
• Assessment of the use of distractions with feeding
• Discussion of findings and recommendations
• Review of parent observations since the last meeting
• Direct feeding observation in the home or in the community
• Parent and feeding specialist review of the child’s cues and responses
• Discussion of a plan for mealtimes and snacks
✓ The child's parents, primary care physician, feeding specialist and other medical specialists involved are part of THE FEEDING TEAM.
✓ Working together to unify our message to the family
✓ On-site teaming
✓ On-site training and mentoring of feeding therapists
✓ Unifying the approach to treating children with feeding issues that is evidence-based.